Thomas and the Magic Railroad is a 2000 theatrical film based on the television show, Thomas and Friends, and its American spin-off, Shining Time Station. The film was produced by Gullane Entertainment, The Britt Allcroft Company, Isle of Man Film Commission, and Destination Films. The film was distributed by Destination Films in the US and Icon Productions in the UK.
Mr. Conductor's supply of magic gold dust, which allows him to travel between Shining Time and Thomas's island, is critically low. Unfortunately, he doesn't know how to get more. Meanwhile, Thomas is fending off attacks by Diesel 10. Getting more gold dust will require help from Mr. C's slacker cousin, his new friend Lilly, and her morose grandfather, plus the secret engine he's hidden all these years and couldn't get running.
Why It's Better Than Calling All Engines!, Misty Island Rescue and Day Of The Diesels
- As this film was made during the Classic Series (Seasons 1-7), there isn't any rhyming or alliteration in this film.
- The characters are they're normal selves. Like for example; Thomas isn't a jerk or a moron in this film, but instead, His normal, cheeky and happy-go-lucky self.
- Neil Crone does very excellent job at voicing Diesel 10 (and Gordon, Splatter and the Tumbleweed, too).
- Junior is a better comic relief than The Logging Locos a.k.a., Bash, Dash and Ferdinand.
- The music is really great, especially the "Really Useful Engine" song.
- The story of Thomas leaving Sodor is very creative (Despite the unrealistic concept of magic being on Sodor).
- Lily is very cute! (Despite Her mouth constantly hanging open throughout the film.)
- Despite overacting, Alec Baldwin does very impressive job at playing Mr. Conductor (which makes sense, as He was the narrator in Seasons 5 and 6 of Thomas and Friends).
- Some Thomas Fans like it.
- The chase scene is the most memorable scene of the entire film.
- It's good seeing the world's number blue tank engine on the big screen.
- Lady is a very beautiful steam engine (and She is also voiced the show's creator, Britt Allcroft!)
- Very funny moments, such as Diesel 10, Splatter and Dodge getting stuck under the shed at the Smelter's Yard.
- This film is also better than Barney's Great Adventure.